The Portland Greendrinks event to raise resources and awareness for MaineShare and our member groups has been rescheduled to Tuesday, September 27th 5:30-8:00PM. The event will now be at Apres, 148 Anderson Street in Portland. Tickets are still available and can be purchased here: Registration link Hope to see you there!
On October 21st, Maineshare members, donors, and friends, past and present, gathered in the beautiful Viles Arboretum barn to belatedly celebrate our 30th anniversary. We heard stories from those instrumental to our founding including Larry Danziger, Martha Piskuscas, Matt Howe, and Hildie Lipsom. Wendy Rose & Doug Malcom, who were not able to attend, were fondly remembered as critical to MaineShare’s existence.
Those who have helped us weather these current times, like Ryan Martin, Brenda Peluso and past board president, Tracy Harkins, celebrated how far we’ve come. We then welcomed Amanda Langley & Phil Walsh who shared excitement around opportunities to come.
We have no doubt that our history and future are worth celebrating. It was wonderful to see so many of the MaineShare family in person, and we thank you all for your continued support!
On October 21st, MaineShare and friends will gather at Viles Arboretum to honor our past and celebrate our very bright future!
We will get outside and experience some of what Maine has to offer with our 30+1 Hike & Bike / Get Outside for Maine Fundraiser. We will also hold a short business meeting, make some exciting announcements, and of course, offer plenty of food, drinks, and great company.
Here is our plan:
4:00 – 5:30 – Hike & Bike Activities
- Viles Arboretum Guided Tour (Sign Up & Donation Required)
- Downtown Augusta to the Arboretum Walk – (Sign Up & Donation Required)
- Self-guided Tours of the Arboretum – (You can donate here for this as well!)
5:15 – 6:00 – Meet and Mingle – Activities Stations
- Check in – Proof of Vaccination will be Required
- Activity Stations – visit our special guests responsible for the launch of MaineShare and our future leaders
6:00 Hike & Bike awards
- Most participants, highest donors, you know…
- VINTAGE prizes 🙂
6:10 Business Meeting
- State of the Organization
- Welcome & Intro to our new permanent director
- Vision for the Future
6:30 More Time to Eat, Drink & Be Merry
7:00 Shut the barn doors! (or not!)
It is free to attend, but prior registration is required.
Only vaccinated individuals with proof will be allowed entry to the barn. Thank you for your understanding.
Thank you for joining us and following our COVID safety precautions.
Outside in Maine this time of year can be such a joyful place and during these incredibly stressful times, joy is so needed.
This year, our board and a few Member Groups are stepping up to the challenge to start fundraising events as part of this GET OUTSIDE FOR A BETTER MAINE campaign.
We are raising money to support our 40+ Member Groups who are working to make Maine a more just and equitable place every year.
Thank you so much!
Let me introduce myself. My name is Brenda Peluso and in early April, I contracted with the board to serve as the Interim Director and to advise on the best path forward for MaineShare. I have enjoyed getting up to speed on all that is MaineShare and I have been impressed with all the work and soul-searching MaineShare and its Member Groups have been doing over the past year or so. I look forward to moving this work forward with the help and support of all of you.
MaineShare was founded 30 years ago to fund progressive groups seeking to support organizations doing progressive social justice and root cause work in Maine. Covid-19 has challenged us all and laid bare the systemic injustices in our state and country. Amid these great challenges, we believe there is great opportunity to elevate these injustices and make positive social and economic systems change. MaineShare is committed to finding the best way to support our Member Groups in doing just that.
Thank you for all you do for Maine and all your support for us and our Member Groups. We promise to honor your commitment and look forward to deeper connection in the coming weeks and months.
Please stay connected, stay safe, and we wish you peace and community through all of this.
Interim Executive Director
Read our April Newsletter for these highlights of MaineShare Member Group Impact:
Addressing Systemic Inequities and Meeting Basic Needs
- Maine Access Immigrant Network: Ensuring Access to COVID-19 Resources In Native Languages
- MOFGA: Supporting Farmers and Home Gardeners
- Maine Labor Group on Health: Protecting Workers’ Health & Safety
- MANO EN MANO: “Estamos Aqui Fund” Increasing Equity for Immigrant & Migrant Workers
- Maine Initiatives Provides Immediate Help to Grassroots Organizations
Resources for Improving Wellbeing:
- Environmental Health Strategies Center: Staying Healthy While Staying Safe
- Maine Council of Churches: Supporting Faith-Based Connection & Service During Covid-19
- Maine Audubon: Finding Peace in Nature,
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine: Where to Bike in Maine this Spring
- Equality Maine: “Zoomin’ with EQME