MaineShare is a federation of 40+ forward-looking Maine nonprofit organizations who believe that an equitable and just Maine is worth working for – every day. MaineShare funds its member organizations through individual and workplace giving and raises public awareness about their work.
Since 1989, MaineShare has raised over $6,000,000 to provide flexible, unrestricted operating funds to MaineShare’s Member Groups. This critical and rare, unrestricted money makes organizations more responsive and nimble. It enables innovation, and provides fuel for growth, which is just what Maine needs right now.
To provide support to organizations doing progressive, social justice and root cause work in Maine and to raise public awareness of their work.
In 1985, several Maine nonprofits began discussions to create a “social action fund.”
Meet our board members and staff.
Over the past 30 years, MaineShare supporters have made a big difference in Maine.
Each year MaineShare reflects on our sustainability, our accomplishments, our challenges, and gives thanks to our members and supporters. Browse our reports and study our financials here.
In 1985, several Maine nonprofits began discussions to create a “social action fund.” In late 1988, five groups formally agreed to establish MaineShare and one of them, Institute for Nonviolence, Education, Research and Training (INVERT), provided initial funding to hire a part-time staff person to coordinate this effort.
Officially incorporated in January 1989, the member-led process for recruiting additional organizations began. By March, nine nonprofits signed on as members. The first Board, comprised of member group representatives, received support and technical assistance from the National Committee for Responsible
Philanthropy. Community Works, a Boston fund, provided training and consultation, and MaineShare became a member of Community Shares USA.
Our original founding members
- Center for Vision and Policy
- INVERT (now Resources for Organizing & Social Change)*
- Maine Association for Handicapped Persons
- Maine Displaced Homemakers Program (now New Ventures Maine)*
- Maine Foreign Affairs Education Fund
- Maine Peace Fund*
- Maine People’s Resource Center*
- Maine Veterans for Peace*
- We Who Care Charitable Federation
*Still members today.
MaineShare Board of Directors
- Chair: Ryan Martin, Viles Arboretum
- Vice Chair: Jodie Lapchick, Lapchick+Co.
- Treasurer: Robin Drummond, GLSEN
- Secretary: Bailey Auspland, IDEXX
- Amy Hillstrom, KMA HR Consulting
Since our first Workplace Campaign in 1999, over 150 workplaces have facilitated their employee giving to MaineShare – in many cases, matching what their employees contribute.
The workplaces listed below have had at least one campaign in the previous 5 years (2016-2020) and are listed alphabetically within their category of total pledges between 2016 & 2020. Join us in thanking these generous business, nonprofit, municipality, and state government agency employees.
Over $100,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- Bowdoin College
- Diversified Communications
- Martin’s Point Health Care
- Maine State Employee Combined Charitable Appeal
Over $50,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
Over $25,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
Over $15,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- Bangor Savings Bank
- Brunswick School Department
- MSAD #75
- Portland Public Schools
Over $10,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
- Community Health Options
- Disability Rights Maine
- Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
- University of New England
Over $5,000 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- City of Augusta
- City of Bangor
- Maine Center for Economic Policy
- Maine Community College System
- Maine Equal Justice
- Maine Municipal Association
- Maine Turnpike Authority
- Murray Plumb & Murray
- Portland Water District
- Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions, Inc.
Over $2,500 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- City of South Portland
- Consumers for Affordable Health Care
- Evergreen Home Performance
- HealthReach Community Health Centers
- James W. Sewall Company
- Kennebec Valley CAP
- Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Maine Community College System Office
- Maine Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency
- Natural Resources Council of Maine
- Southern Maine Community College
- Spinnaker Trust
- Thomas College
- UW Donor Choice Port
- Waynflete School
Up to $2,500 in Total Pledges Prior 5 years
- Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice
- Augusta Public Schools
- Avena Botanicals
- Bangor Public Library
- Belfast Co-op
- Bernstein Shur
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine
- Brunswick Housing Authority
- Caring Unlimited
- City of Auburn
- City of Waterville
- cPort Credit Union
- Defend Our Health (formerly EHSC)
- DFD Russell Medical Centers, Inc.
- Family Violence Project
- Friends of Casco Bay
- Genesis Community Loan Fund
- Husson University
- Lapchick Creative
- Maine Association of Nonprofits
- Maine Audubon
- Maine Community Foundation
- Maine Family Planning
- Maine Hospice Council
- Maine Labor Group on Health
- Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
- Maine People’s Resource Center
- Maine Public
- Maine Resource Recovery Association
- Maine Women’s Policy Center
- Maranacook Area School District
- Mt Blue Regional School District
- NL Partners
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- Prosperity ME (CFL)
- Redington-Fairview General Hospital
- RSU #16 Poland Schools
- South Portland Schools
- Waterfall Arts
- WoodenBoat Publications