MaineShare is a federation of 40+ forward-looking Maine nonprofit organizations who believe that an equitable and just Maine is worth working for – every day. MaineShare funds its member organizations through individual and workplace giving and raises public awareness about their work.
Since 1989, MaineShare has raised over $6,000,000 to provide flexible, unrestricted operating funds to MaineShare’s Member Groups. This critical and rare, unrestricted money makes organizations more responsive and nimble. It enables innovation, and provides fuel for growth, which is just what Maine needs right now.
To provide support to organizations doing progressive, social justice and root cause work in Maine and to raise public awareness of their work.
In 1985, several Maine nonprofits began discussions to create a “social action fund.”
Meet our board members and staff.
Over the past 30 years, MaineShare supporters have made a big difference in Maine.
Each year MaineShare reflects on our sustainability, our accomplishments, our challenges, and gives thanks to our members and supporters. Browse our reports and study our financials here.
In 1985, several Maine nonprofits began discussions to create a “social action fund.” In late 1988, five groups formally agreed to establish MaineShare and one of them, Institute for Nonviolence, Education, Research and Training (INVERT), provided initial funding to hire a part-time staff person to coordinate this effort.
Officially incorporated in January 1989, the member-led process for recruiting additional organizations began. By March, nine nonprofits signed on as members. The first Board, comprised of member group representatives, received support and technical assistance from the National Committee for Responsible
Philanthropy. Community Works, a Boston fund, provided training and consultation, and MaineShare became a member of Community Shares USA.
Our original founding members
- Center for Vision and Policy
- INVERT (now Resources for Organizing & Social Change)*
- Maine Association for Handicapped Persons
- Maine Displaced Homemakers Program (now New Ventures Maine)*
- Maine Foreign Affairs Education Fund
- Maine Peace Fund*
- Maine People’s Resource Center*
- Maine Veterans for Peace*
- We Who Care Charitable Federation
*Still members today.
MaineShare Board of Directors
- Chair: Tracy Harkins, Harkins Consulting, LLC
- Vice Chair: William D. Sedlack, Maine Conservation Voters
- Treasurer: Johanna Colpritt, Eaton Peabody
- Secretary: Bailey Auspland, IDEXX
- Robin Drummond, GLSEN
- Amy Hillstrom, KMA HR Consulting
- Jodie Lapchick, Lapchick+Co.
- Ryan Martin, Viles Arboretum
Since our first Workplace Campaign in 1999, over 150 workplaces have facilitated their employee giving to MaineShare – in many cases, matching what their employees contribute.
Tourmaline Level Workplaces
Amethyst Level Workplaces
Garnet Level Workplaces
- Diversified Communications
- Lee Auto Malls
- Maine Community College System
- Maine School Administrative District 75 (Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Harpswell, and Topsham)
- Martin’s Point Health Care
- University of Maine System
Topaz Level Workplaces
Rose Quartz Level Workplaces
- Brunswick School Department
- Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
- Disability Rights Maine
- Maine Initiatives
- Portland Water District
- WoodenBoat Publications
Aquamarine Level Workplaces
- City of Augusta
- Community Health Options
- DFD Russell Medical Centers, Inc.
- Kennebec Valley CAP
- Maine Audubon
- Maine Center for Economic Policy
- Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
- Maine Equal Justice
- Maine Labor Group on Health
- Maine Municipal Association
- Maine Turnpike Authority
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- Waynflete School
Granite Level Workplaces
- Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice
- Augusta Public Schools
- Avena Botanicals
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine
- Brunswick Housing Authority
- Caring Unlimited
- City of Auburn
- City of Bangor
- City of Portland
- City of South Portland
- City of Waterville
- Consumers for Affordable Health Care
- Environmental Health Strategy Center
- Evergreen Home Performance
- Family Violence Project
- Friends of Casco Bay
- Genesis Community Loan Fund
- Husson University
- Maine Association of Nonprofits
- Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Maine Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency
- Maine Family Planning
- Maine Hospice Council
- Maine Resource Recovery Association
- Murray Plumb & Murray
- New Ventures Maine
- Prosperity ME
- Redington-Fairview General Hospital
- Rural School Unit 16 (Mechanic Falls, Minot, Poland)
- Spinnaker Trust
- Thomas College
- Wood, LLC